Ever have one of those days, where you’re just feeling funky? Not the good funky, or the sick funky, but “blah,ugh, meh” funky?
Take today for instance, I woke up tired after 8 hours of sleep, am a bit cranky, and my turtle neck is bothering me. ( apparently it’s just not cold enough out for turtlenecks)
But I know my day is not completely ruined, because I follow these simple rules below to perk myself up on crappy days:
1. If your lucky enough to realize early that your day may be less than exciting, start it off right with some exercise ( I can hear the moaning now) but hear me out, drag your sleepy butt out of bed and throw yourself on your yoga mat, go for a brisk morning jog, or even a surprise roll in the hay with your lover! (Hence the moaning,…… and no I don’t want to hear that…..but good for you!)
2. After your “work out” hop in the shower and use a body scrub or soap that you really like, I like to use peppermint soap in the mornings; the cool tingly feeling on your skin REALLY gets you going! You can also try a caffeinated body wash if you prefer to wash with your morning cup o joe rather than drink it.
3. Once you are squeaky clean, doll yourself up, sure you feel lousy, but dressing down will only make you feel frumpy, you want to be comfortable yet classy, ( for example. DO not wear a wool turtle neck : ( ) Put on a nice pair of panties , a delicate bra and a fancy dress or skirt and blouse, something that makes you feel FABULOUS!! If you have the time, do your hair up nice, or try some new make-up looks (not that you need it, beautiful!)
4. Once you’re prettied up, head to the kitchen for some tasty eats, if you have the time the time to cook, then make something special for yourself, sit at the kitchen table and eat, turn on a radio, make a pot of tea, make a full breakfast and enjoy every bite slowly. OR if your crunched for time because you took longer than expected on number 1, (BTW good for you) then get your stuff together and head out to pick up breakfast on the way to work. Or wherever you happen to be going. Now what we are focused on here is nutrition, so maybe stop at McDonalds’ or what ever your local fast food joint is, grab a bagel but skip the fries or greasy hash browns and carry along an apple instead to finish off your meal. Photo by: Dada Dreams
5. On the way to work, if you take public transportation bring a guilty pleasure read with you, such as tabloid mag, or beauty or music mag. Or if your stuck in traffic, crank up your radio or ipod with some Gangsta Rap or something upbeat, the point here is ridiculousness, put on something that you would be horrified if anyone heard you singing, ( for me its Dr. Dre) over exaggerate your singing and use gestures to make your self laugh at well…….your self!! Do it you will feel better!!
6. At work, try to smile at everyone you meet, if you’re not in a lighter mood by now “pretend” that you are, sometimes that alone can spark a happy feeling.
7. If you are lucky enough to leave for lunch, go shopping or if the economic downturn has hit your pocketbook, go browsing, try on elaborate outfits you couldn’t possibly ever afford, take pictures of your self in them with your cell phone. You may also give your self a treat, stop and get a coffee or a piece of REALLY good chocolate.
8. I really do not have any tips on making through that final grueling hour of work, or the last four hours after lunch for that matter. If you have any let me know, but I try to continue my positive attitude through out the rest of the work day, just putting my nose to the grindstone to get all my projects mostly finished, that way I feel like I accomplished SOMETHING!
9. After your day is done, finish off your day by playing with your pets, this is great way to reduce stress, run around out side, or just wrestle with them indoors. Lie on the floor and let them lick your face; let your cat sit on you while you take in a favorite tv show.
10. Finish your day off by taking a nice hot shower or a fancy bubble bath, relax as long as you like read a magazine and look at that! You just made it through a funky day!